HVAC manufacturers and technicians encourage fall maintenance checks for several reasons—one being carbon monoxide.
At Schneider Heating and Air Conditioning, we understand the dangers of carbon monoxide and what you can do to help protect yourself and your loved ones this season and beyond.
Did you know that carbon monoxide does not have an odor or color? It is found in gas grills, stoves, lanterns, and fireplaces. Carbon monoxide is also released by your HVAC system—which is made to vent the gas outside your home. Unfortunately, without a carbon monoxide detector, you won’t know it is in your home until you get sick or worse. Your indoor pets are also at-risk.
What is CO (Carbon Monoxide) Poisoning?
Signs of CO include chest pain, headache, dizziness, nausea and/or vomiting, confusion, and weakness. Inhaling too much CO can make you pass out, so it is critical to avoid the potential for CO poisoning before you’re at risk. Breathing excessive carbon monoxide from an appliance leak is very dangerous.
How Do We Prevent a CO Leak in Our Home?
- First, make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home.
- Second, if you have a chimney, keep it clean and never close the flue until the first is completely out.
- Third, never use outdoor stoves or generators indoors.
- Fourth, never block gas vents.
- And last, but certainly not least, get a HVAC fall maintenance check. A fall furnace maintenance check will ensure your furnace is releasing carbon monoxide properly through the ventilation system. If you furnace is not working properly, it has the potential to release carbon monoxide gas into your home—a risk you do not want to take.