- April 19, 2021
- Posted by: yoursemteam
- Category: HVAC
Learn how to identify the common signs of heating and air system failure before it is too late.
Your HVAC system is made to keep you comfortable in extreme weather—the hot and the cold days—but sometimes those monthly energy bills seem excessive. Why is that? If your system is working overtime to accommodate for an unseen or unrealized issue, you are going to be forced to spend more money to keep cool or stay warm each month.
Look for the following 5 signs of HVAC failure to save money now and ensure your system is in the best working order later.
- Overworking – If your system is having trouble staying at a set temperature, you likely have an old or worn-out system—and a repair or replacement is necessary. In time, every HVAC system will be forced to work double time to keep up … and just like a person, you can only run at full speed for so long.
- Slow Response – If your system is slow to respond to temperature changes, it might be in distress. In any HVAC system there is always a little lag time during a temperature adjustment, but you should never need to wait more than 5 minutes to see or hear your system start up. Try to maintain a small temperature range whenever possible—rather than opting to turn your system on and off regularly, which will cause it to wear out sooner.
- Unpleasant Odor – If your HVAC is emitting a foul odor, that is never a good sign. A strong unpleasant smell could indicate a malfunction, and it could threaten your safety. Smells that linger for 20 minutes or more should be addressed as quickly as possible by a HVAC technician.
- Increasing Energy Bills – If you notice a sudden increase in your monthly energy bill, there is likely something amiss with your system. When your HVAC system is working properly, your energy bills will be manageable and remain stable. Take the time to track your usage rates regularly and establish your average monthly energy fee—with this information, you can spot a cost difference quickly and schedule a needed tune-up.
- Ventilation Issues – If some rooms in your home feel warmer or colder than others, your HVAC system may not be operating at top efficiency. Faulty ducts may be to blame, but it could also be that your HVAC is not pushing air efficiently through the ducts. Contact an HVAC technician to diagnose and repair the issue.
Now that you know the 5 most common signs of heating and air system failure, you can spot issues before it is too late. Scheduling maintenance checkups will also help to ensure your HVAC is in good shape. At Schneider Heating & Air Conditioning, we offer a Goldstar Maintenance program—sign up to take advantage of discounts on furnace and air conditioner cleanings, and more!
Schneider Heating & Air Conditioning is the leader in heating, cooling, ventilation, and air quality products and services in the La Crosse area. We have been serving the Coulee Region for more than 80 years. Our technicians are highly and continually trained utilizing the most sophisticated HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) technologies and equipment. All of our service technicians are NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certified—the largest non-profit certification organization that is governed, owned, operated, developed, and supported by the HVAC industry. At Schneider Heating & Air Conditioning, we pride ourselves on amazing customer service. Contact us today!