- March 2, 2021
- Posted by: yoursemteam
- Category: Stay Informed
We spend a lot of time indoors and the air we breathe may not be as pure as we think—but you can do something about it!
With regulatory systems and air quality research often focused on the outdoors, the air we breathe inside is often overlooked. Not anymore. In North America and Europe people spend nearly 90 percent of their time indoors, and because of that, buildings—now more than ever before—require space to breathe.
Historically, during the construction process, homes and duct systems were built tighter to save energy, trapping contaminants indoors. “Studies from the Environmental Protection Agency on human exposure to air pollutants show that indoor levels of pollutants may be two to five times, sometimes more than 100 times, higher than outdoor levels,” (ASHRAE, 2021).
There are several ways to enhance and protect the quality of the air you breathe in your own home. Save money—and breathe well all year long—with these indoor air quality tips.
- Schedule an annual HVAC maintenance check with a professional to ensure your system is in the proper working order. At Schneider Heating and Air Conditioning, your comfort is our business. Contact usto schedule an appointment today!
- Use high-quality air and particle filters in your HVAC to keep dirt out of the air, and at minimum, change the filters quarterly.
- Vent bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens, clothes dryers, and central vacuum cleaners directly to the outdoors.
- Vent fireplaces and wood stoves with outdoor air intakes whenever possible.
- Store toxic compounds like paints, cleaners, and pesticides in a shed or garage.
- Install or upgrade to windows that can be opened regularly, if you do not already have them, to allow particles from home cleaning products and daily activity space to disperse.
- Use energy efficient fans throughout your home to circulate the air.
- Since having the proper humidity is important for good indoor air quality be aware if your house is too dry in the winter or has too much humidity at certain times of the year consider installing an Aprilaire whole house humidifier or dehumidifier.
- Lastly, an adequate amount of fresh outside air is critical for a healthy home—your home should completely turn over its volume of air 4-5 times a day. If you aren’t doing this an HVAC pro can mechanically ventilate your house with a fresh air pipe or an Air Exchanger.
Schneider Heating & Air Conditioning is the leader in heating, cooling, ventilation, and air quality products and services in the La Crosse area. We have been serving the Coulee Region for more than 80 years. Our technicians are highly and continually trained utilizing the most sophisticated HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) technologies and equipment. All of our service technicians are NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certified—the largest non-profit certification organization that is governed, owned, operated, developed, and supported by the HVAC industry. At Schneider Heating & Air Conditioning, we pride ourselves on amazing customer service. Contact us today!