- May 13, 2019
- Posted by: yoursemteam
- Category: HVAC
How to Prepare Air Conditioning Unit for Summer Heat
As the weather starts to get warmer there are a few things prepare your air conditioning unit for the summer heat. There are things you can do, but there are a couple things you may want to have a professional complete.
Things you can do:
- Wash down the external air conditioning unit. Use a garden hose to spray off dust, debris, and other things left behind following winter. Remove any weeds and plants growing too close to the unit. The area around the unit should be clear of obstructions.
- Walk around the house to make sure that there aren’t any cracks, dislodged windows, or areas air can get in or out of the home. Close any openings. Some gaps can be filled in with caulk. Add weather stripping to make sure all doors and windows close tightly.
- Change your filter! It’s a simple, inexpensive task that you can do to avoid future issues. Filters should be replaced monthly. Filters range in price and efficiency. Some are washable and reusable.
- Check your insulation. Make sure that you have enough insulation in the attic to keep the cool air in the home and stay consistent throughout the home. Check with your local energy or gas company for possible rebates if you add insulation to your home.
- Hire a professional HVAC company to check your air conditioning unit. There are many moving parts that need to be assessed so that they are running efficiently. You don’t want your system to stop working on the hottest day of summer!
- Have your duct work cleaned to reduce the number of particles, pollutants or debris floating through your home. It will make your home air cleaner and keep your system running smoothly.